Friday, February 23, 2007

Sometimes, I really do hate people. Yesterday at work, I had some legitimate gripes. And I know that noone cares, but dammit, I care, and one of these days, there is going to be a serious problem if people keep ignoring these issues. I can't get anyone to listen. Example:

Deboning chicken for chicken salad: all the bones need to be removed, ALL of them! You simply cannot trust that you'll find them when you chop the meat up! (egads) If a customer injured themselves or died due to one small piece of bone left in the food, we would get sued, and we would all probably lose our jobs. I liek where I work, I like my job, and I don't want anyone to get hurt or to die from a single chicken bone. It's well worth it to me, to take a few extra minutes to insure that ALL of the chicken bones are out of the meat BEFORE I start chopping it up. Additionally, I think that if all the employees who work on this particular task aren't willign to be ultra-careful about the bones, we shoudl discontinue offerign this product, and simply throw the baked chickens out. The few dollars saved is nothing compared to the potential loss of life, hundreds of thousands of dollars (lawsuit) and the repuation of the workplace. Either do it right, or throw the damned things away. Or, let me do them (all of them) and don't bitch at me for being careful. I have a system, and I don't take any longer than I have to. It's gotten to where I know all the bones by heart....

That's only one example. I don't want to get fired, so I'll shut up while I'm ahead. But see, this isn't just a little thing to me. When you serve people food, there's this immense and unspoken element of trust involved. You have to uphold that trust and live up to it. You can't let them down due to laziness or tiredness or monetary losses- they have got to have safe, edible, and ideally, palatable food.
::sigh:: maybe I take it too seriously.

Anyway, so they griped at me about this, and since they both had more seniority than I do, there's nothing I can do about it. But, like I said, I was hating them for it inwardly, despising their stupidity and shortsightedness. I've come conclusion that a lot of the peopel here are, to put it bluntly, stupid. The lucky ones probably top out with an I.Q. of 100. At least one of my coworkers must be more like an 80. No, I'm not exaggerating or being mean. You would just have to be here to understand it.
They can't spell, they can't do math (even on paper, simple math, like 6x3, or 64 divided by 20) and the logic skills aren't much better. The worst of it is, it isn't really their fault. They don't know that they're dumb...I'm just annoying to them. And even when I'm right, I still have to bow before their seniority, unless there is a serious breach of health codes or protocol or fairness, bad enough that I'll brave taking it to the boss (last resort), who does happen to be endowed with intelligence (the bosses aren't local).

It's only that dealing with it every day, day in and day out, makes me want to *scream* or bite someone. There has got to be a better job for me somewhere. I don't mind this job, but I don't feel like there's much I can do to progress things as they stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment