Friday, February 15, 2013

Just recovered seeds from the winter squash varieties I used to have! The seeds are over ten years old, but some of them should germinate. Among these are strains I was breeding, including my Idaho Star squash. The flavor of that squash was so much better than anything I've been able to buy in the store....like roasted sweet potatoes. I had thought that the Idaho Star squash was irreperably lost; now there is hope and I'm incredibly happy about that. :-)

The only thing is, I have to find a place to grow them out at now, and that place has to be A: conducive to winter squash growth and B: stable, meaning that it isn't going to drop out from under me after planting the seeds but before they're ready and C: readily and easily accessible, because I'll need to be hand pollinating throughout the summer in order to keep the seed true (otherwise there's no point in growing it out at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment