Monday, March 08, 2004

The painting- I never did mention the fact that it's of some sort of a bivalve. I could find out what species- the seashell book is upstairs. It's pure, pristine white on the inner surface, smooth and cleaner than milk. The hinge (arghh, I should find the technical/scientific term for it) is mauve/pink/purple depending on the light, the rim is edged in violet which curves sensuously into the white about halfway up both sides. It's really beautiful. I can't quite do it justice. Anyway- the painting. I found that the problem with it was the light. The bulbs we have installed are yellowish and dim, giving a cavelike atmosphere. I bought some special bulbs with a bluish tinge that reveal the true colors. When they're on, wow, what a difference. It's like having a physical weight lifted from you that you weren't even aware was there until it left. I love them. If I had my way, all the bulbs would be this sort. Unfortunately they aren't energy efficient. I actually have to run the generator if I want to turn *one* of these on (!). So the cavelike pall lingers on...

Obviously I wasn't going to be able to paint at night and get decent results if I couldn't even see the colors!! What looked reasonable in the amber dimness was positively horrid in the morning light. Geez... It wasn't my fault at all. So last night I installed the right light bulb and painted by that. The results are better. My technique leaves something to be desired for the subject (the blending is so delicate and subtle...) but I am 100% happier with it at this point. It isn't done yet.

-------------------------------------------
Work is going better. I've realized two things: my mood regarding the job is primarily influenced by who I've worked with, and that the strain of dealing with the other people (the other workers, I mean) is more stressful than the physical aspect. Today we cleaned the deep fryer. A word to the wise: don't eat deep fried food. Don't do that to yourself. Just imagine all that grease and crap lining the old coronaries, ew. I got a little magnetic chess set so I can play out openings during my breaks and lunch time. :>)

The notion that half an hour of my life is only worth about $2.57 depresses me....

I tend to think that people should be paid by the job, not by the clock. If more people used this system, quality and efficiency would improve. As it is, people are content to be sloppy and waste time at the employer's expense. Competition would ensure a certain amount of sniping and bitchiness, but also better results.

I think I mentioned the emergent bulbs- crown imperials, grape hyacinths, crocuses, daylilies (not really a bulb), and possibly daffodil and tulips. These are all just tips of foliage- no blooms at all yet. We should have scilla somewhere...huh. It should be up and blooming by now. I'll have to look for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment