Friday, February 25, 2011

Cooking....(I feel better now...100% better..)...I had a turkey in the freezer that I had to take out to make room for half a venison. I am not a huge turkey fan, but it had to be used, soooo....what to do with the dumb thing?

I cut the breast off and am stewing it with rosemary, garlic, onion, thyme. The legs, thighs and wings are roasting. The back is being used to make broth, with the stems from the fresh rosemary whose leaves were used for the breast and the roasted pieces, and leaves from leeks and carrots, and the stems of parsley. The back will be boned, of course, don't want to waste that meat, but the primary purpose is to make a nice, rich broth, so that pot is stuffed full of veggie leaves and scraps along with the meat.

I like the breast meat, but I don't like how dry it turns out when roasted, so that is why I thought something like a nice herbed white wine sauce with mushrooms and wild rice would be nice....I can't find the mushrooms yet, but I am not done looking! The plan was to cook the carrots, celery, leeks, and parsley once the meat is cooked, because I don't want dead looking veggies....and am still deciding on the wild rice. I could just as easily use quinoa. This does away with the big turkey carcass dessicating in the fridge that happens when I roast the whole thing.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment