Saturday, June 28, 2003

We're still eating on the blue goat cheese, which is sort of surprising, even though there was three pounds of it. Usually I wouldn't order so much, but Nolan was coming and so I wanted him to try it. As it turned out, he didn't stay long and the cheese came late. Will have to get some more sometime. Not that it's a problem; this cheese is the sort that could be polished off in a day or two. I overstated things when I said it was the best cheese I'd ever had, though. It's good, really good, the best I've found yet in Idaho. But Humboldt Fog is better. I ate some at the ADGA convention a couple of years back, and have never forgotten it. There just is no comparison between it and anything else, in my opinion. If I find some chocolate that's up to those standards, I'll be in deep, deep trouble.

Anyway- I think I'd like to get into some serious cheesemaking. Specifically, mold ripened goat cheeses such as camembert and brie. I have a recipe here and it looks pretty simple. Besides, it's sort of hard to justify having so many goats (I'm milking ten of them) without doing something with the milk. We'd need a little more cheese equipment, cultures, and candidum penicillum (the white mold powder that makes the rind).

The only thing is, every time I get really excited about some new interest, something happens and it falls apart. Like the lilies, for example. They cost about a hundred dollars, which didn't matter since I really wanted them, as well as a lot of work preparing the beds. But after I got them planted, there was no water. This is stupid, since there's a huge pond very nearby. I watered them by hand for a while, and then it rained, which helped. But between the damned gophers and several weeks without much rain, there are only about a dozen of them left, and I planted about 50. The ones there are look pretty sad. We finally got a hose long enough to reach them, but it won't connect....it is just insane!! :gnashing my teeth: It's the same way with just about everything here; nothing is ever complete or turns out the way it should. Rant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment