Monday, January 19, 2004

Current reading list
-----------------------------------------
  • Faust- Goethe
  • Memoirs of a Geisha- Arther Golden

Still reading Faust now and then, and enjoying it. To be honest though, Memoirs of a Geisha is so captivating that I've neglected all other reading material, even seed and flower catalogs. The bittersweet portrait of a girl trying her best to better her lot in life (and so far not having any love or real closeness) is told with such sadness intermingled with an almost poetic style of expression....and it's all true.

After these two are finished, I have Catcher in the Rye and one by Asimov. I bought not one but TWO copies of Stranger in a Strange Land, only to find out that neither one is the uncut version, which is what I want. I can't see any reason to read these since I want the whole thing! Man that makes me feel like a dork.

Movies
--------------------------------------------
  • The Meaning of Life (Monty Python)
  • The Search for Bobby Fischer
  • Pirates of Silicon Valley

I LOVED The Meaning of Life. Man, that movie is funny! It's just great. :-) This one gets added to my top ten favorite movies.

Haven't watched the next two yet. There are a bunch of books and movies I want to find, as well as music. Found Dire Straits, it's now in the mail on its way to me. I'll have to compile a list of the stuff I'm looking for. Definitely Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, The Handmaiden by Ursula Leguin (a favorite author) and if I could find them I'd probably get more books on art...hmmm, maybe Modigliani? Love those long ovoid heads with their almond eyes...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every day that goes by I think I should paint or draw something but the time just sllips away or gets all befuddled with so much noise and commotion and upset, by the time I wind down on the computer it's well past time to go to bed. If I don't do something, my life is going to slip away just like that, one day at a time- one futile, hectic day after another until there's nothing left of me- or nothing worth preserving anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment