Sunday, January 25, 2004

Well. It must seem that I was a little obsessed with the subject, and I have to admit that I found the pictures and accounts very disturbing. Here is more info. The thing is, I honestly had no idea it was such a major deal. But now I'm wondering whether (and how much of) the difficulties between the sexes are related to the trauma of having their genitals mutilated. No wonder some guys wear such an air of bravado- they're insecure. I think it's just a matter of time before the practice becomes outdated and that it will be looked upon with horror by future generations.

I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye. I feel a little sorry for the main character. He seems like such a loser, and the saddest part of it is that he's fairly oblivious to the fact. He's decent at heart and has a definite sympathy for people, and this seems to be his main redeeming feature. He doesn't seem to have any dreams, any goals, any aspirations in life, or....or even any curiosity to speak of. I get the impression that he just sort of floats along, taking in sensory data and responding to it with feelings. Maybe the book changes later on, but the guy just doesn't seem to have any depth of thought going on, though he has to be given credit for feelings. He seems determined to like people when given the slightest chance; I don't know, there's a sort of innocence about him, even though I think he's kind of a moron.

Latest visual interests- seashells. Nothing I could say with my clumsy words would do them justice. I wish they were easier to find around here.

Also- parakeets. They're such cheery little birds. I'm thinking about getting one when I move into town. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment