Sunday, January 09, 2011

I finally managed to get into the math class I need. Final schedule:

Math 143 (college algebra)
Abnormal Psychology
Advanced Ceramics

The psych is because I still have not decided whether to major in psych and go for some kind of art therpay emphasis, or major in art and take the huge risk involved there.

The deal is this: I cannot make "pretty" art or work that is designed solely to please the customers. I make what I make, and if people like it, great. If they don't like it, well, it means something to me, and it's perfectly ok if they don't get it, because it was probably deeply personal anyway. I also am not good at replicating one thing over and over again. Every single thing I make is apt to be different, even if only slightly different. I am not the sort who can happily churn out 20 identical coffee cups.

On the other hand, I am also perfectly happy to allow other people to make what they want to make and to express themselves freely. In fact, I encourage it, because in my mind, mimicry is akin to heresy when it comes to creative expression. I am not terribly concerned with the product or outcome. The creative process itself is what matters, and if the outcome is pleasing, great. So, (shrug) maybe art therapy is soemthing I have potential to do....as long as I can work with people more or less one on one. I do not want to work with, say, a whole class of children. Would be ok, though, with a very lively, active young child, as long as that kid was the only one I had to chase.

Yeah, I don't know. Thinking about this sort of stuff makes me feel better though..... And now I have to find a way to get to school, because the bus service closed down, I am out of money (unless some pottery sold!) and I just do not want to hitchhike (because how on earth would I get back????). I emailed someone about the ride share, but they haven't replied. Sigh....Dammit, and I have to get my books, too. Only the Ceramics class is on campus (the others are internet), but if I cannot at least go and get my books, I am *screwed*!

No comments:

Post a Comment