Friday, December 30, 2011

I'm a little freaked out because my 16 yo son just tried to cut a large mole off of his forehead. I can understand not liking large, 3-D moles. I had one on the back of my neck that was always getting irritated by necklaces and the necklines of my clothing...finally had a doctor remove it. But DIY surgery at home, by a kid, on himself??? NOT OK by me.

I am not entirely unsympathetic to him. I used to really hate my numerous moles. My sister teased me about them and Dad would always say that they weren't ugly, that they were beauty marks. And then she would laugh harder than ever. I've never thought they were beautiful but have come to accept them as part of the package that's me. But then I was thinking about moles tonight and your face flashed through my mind ever so briefly. And I saw...a mole. And realized: that it's as much a part of your face to me as anything else, that I like it because it's part of you, part of what sets your face apart from others. That I especially like and miss the various idiosyncrasies about you.

How could anyone love an absolutely perfect face? Or a perfect person? That would be so dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment