Saturday, January 07, 2012

Doubting myself now. I have no idea how I'm going to be in a month. I'm scared. Taking two classes....and working full time...no internet at my house (unless I'm standing in the laundry room, which I suppose is better than nothing but not entirely tenable, especially for two classes). If I fail one of the classes or fall apart again and fail them both, not only am I not making progress on improving my GPA, not only am I out a LOT of money, I'll actually be in a position that's worse, academically, than the one I'm in now.

On the other hand...summer. I could take the other class during the summer semester, during which I will only have to pay $5 in general student fees. I still have no idea what is going to happen as far as the College Algebra class if I do get documentation for having a math disability. Maybe I don't have one. Maybe math is just my area of stupidity (along with misunderstanding social cues). But if it turns out that there's some reason that I'm actually unable to do this class, what exactly does accommodation look like? I've already tried the tutors, different teachers, just about everything. The only thing I can think of that would really help is to be allowed to bring a paper or index card with the math formulas that I reliably forget as soon as the text anxiety hits me...and frankly that sounds unlikely. If I had that, I could pass the first three tests and possibly do OK on the midterm. The tests after the midterm are when my inability to comprehend logarithmic and exponential functions would doom me- those would be a loss but since all the test scores get averaged out, I would need to at least try. Even a score of 25% or 33% is better than a big fat 0. The final exam...I would be able to do about half the problems and if I were careful, I could get a 50% on that. If the instructor curves the scores....I might get a higher grade. I'd also have to do really well on the homework in order to pass the class...possibly just barely.

Ugh....I hate feeling stupid. But what I am getting at is....maybe I shouldn't take both classes. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment