Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Things I have been thinking about making:
  • A quilt. I haven't decided on the design yet. One idea has been to make a Storm at Sea quilt. I've wanted to make one since I started quilting, but the diamonds were challenging to work with for a beginner so I postponed it. I love the optical illusion of curves when only straight lines have been used, a quilt made only with blue and white fabric and that it's a nautical theme. I've never lived by the ocean so I don't know how I can miss and yearn for it, but I do.

  • The other quilt idea is to take all the countries from which my progenitors came and to make a quilt with a square with the national flower from each of these countries. As far as I know this would include England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Philippines, Germany and Spain. There may be others...and that's part of the problem. I am 99% certain of the above countries, but as for the rest, who knows? Also, these add up to 7, and 7 is not a number of square that fits precisely into any rectangular arrangement. I could probably add and eighth block for America. That would make it 2 wide by four long. Or I could just forget the whole silly idea.

  • I have a Shetland fleece and my handspinning skills have developed to the point where I can spin fairly fine yarn. I'd need to be able to spin it even finer to make an Irish lace shawl....and I am pretty sure that my work would not be anywhere close to the caliber of the legendary shawls that were of such fine yarn and lacework that the entire shawl could be passed through a ring....but Shetland wool is the traditional type which was used to make these shawls...and it might be nice to try. Here is some of the work done by a (very talented!!!!) lady who is trying the same thing. I would like to point out however, that she did not spin her own wool, and I will be. ;-)

  • A dress. Ack!!!! What is happening to me?! But I can see this dress in my mind. It has a mid-calf range hem and it laces up from the waist to the bodice. It is tailored and close fitting through the torso with a skirt that is flowing but not poofy-full. It looks sort of like the sort of dress a peasant might wear. I haven't decided yet whether the sleeves are part of the dress or if the dress is worn over a blouse....nor have I decided what sort of fabric to use, but the fabric needs to be understated. I also have to figure out how to construct the garment so that it is sturdy enough to withstand the pull of being laced up, and what the laces will be threaded through. It would not do to use grommets.

  • With the Blue-Faced Leicester yarn that I spun up a few weeks ago: maybe it would be nice to weave a scarf from it? It has a tweedy look that would lend itself well to weaving and not so well to knitting.

  • A felted laptop case/messenger bag. The felt would be heavy and thick, sturdy. I am not sure how to construct the strap. I want to put some kind of an animal or something on the front flap. Haven't decided whether this should be a goat, a salmon, sheep or just leaves. The salmon is kind of personal for me. I am not sure that I want to wear it so publicly on a bag like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment