Thursday, April 17, 2014

Don't think I want to identify as a feminist any longer. Things like this... The constant blaming of men for every damned little thing, including things women have embraced and chosen to do, such as perpetuating this idiotic female ideal body type of being stick thin. Saying that a single wolfwhistle or an appreciative male glance is "rape" or "sexual assault". Give me a fucking break. I've been raped. I've been sexually assaulted. I've also been whistled at and looked at. These things are not anywhere close to being in the same category. Also, fact of the matter is, women objectify men a lot, too. No? Consider: What's the first thing your family asks when you tell them you have a new boyfriend? They want to know what he does for a living. Our society treats men not as *people* but as money makers. "Breadwinner" is supposed to be a compliment, and we just expect them to suck it up and deal with it, AND to put up with being demonized for what bad men have done to women.

I'm tired of discriminating against one gender under the excuse of defending the other. What about supporting people?

When was the last time you heard someone chortle with glee over a male criminal going to prison and getting ass raped? Or, if not glee, prison rape is something which gets shrugged off. "If they didn't want to get raped, they shouldn't have gotten themselves in prison". Yes, people say horrific, awful things about women who get raped, but at least their rape is acknowledged some of the time. When it happens to a guy....chances are, nobody will ever know, not even his doctor. He won't get support, there won't be justice, and there won't be healing.

Also, I'm sick and tired of dividing the world into two camps, MEN and WOMEN, as though we were two warring armies. There are shitty men, shitty women, shitty intersexed people, shitty trans people probably, although I haven't met any yet. There are also good,fairminded people, and that has nothing at all to do with genitalia. I don't feel that I can hold values of equality while demonizing half our population and blaming all kinds of random shit on them. It's not that I don't think women shouldn't get equal treatment, fair wages, etc....but it is becoming increasingly clear to me that this business of painting all men with broad brushstrokes is the wrong way to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment