Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ok, I'm back and still really tired, not from the work (minimal) but from being surrounded by milling crowds of people. I am not mentally organized enough right now to write a cohesive paragraph or two that would sum it all up so I'll be lazy and make a list instead:

  • I finally found an Angora goat breeder who breeds colored Angoras, who tests for CAE and Johnes, Caseous Lymphadenitis, etc. This lady has her act together and is serious about her goats and the breeding stock she offers. If I get Angora goats, I will definitely be buying from her!
  • It was interesting to me to see what stuff sold and what did not. Tanned sheep and Angora goat hides sold really well, people couldn't keep their hands off of them.
  • There wasn't a lot of variety in breeds, as far as the fleeces went. I saw Shetland, Icelandic, Targhee, Romney crosses...there may have been one or two other breeds. There was more variety in washed locks of various breeds, but still, not a LOT of variety.
  • There was a lot of roving. Huge bags of white roving didn't seem to be selling that well, but honestly, when there's a LOT of roving, the sales could be substantial without appearing to make a dent.
  • I didn't see a lot of sales in yarn.
  • Alpaca fleeces didn't sell very well, and there may have been alpaca roving, but I didn't see any. I think what would work better is to have baskets of washed alpaca fiber that a person could buy by the ounce or to have smaller quantities of washed fiber available. An alpaca fleece is very voluminous and puffy. It looks huge. I can see how the prospect of buying an entire fleece might be a little daunting...even though I would gladly do it anyway!

I'll have more to say on this later....have to track down my crocheting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment