Sunday, January 11, 2004

I think my dad has disowned me. I didn't hear a peep from him this holiday season. I don't care about the presents, but on the other hand it is nice to feel as though you exist to your parents and they're happy you're around. Actually his wife always handled the presents; I kind of think I wouldn't have heard from him most years if she weren't around. Maybe he read the blog and got mad. Or maybe it was the bit on my website that hinted I don't believe in God anymore. It's hard to say for sure. He's at least as uncommunicative as I am (wonder where I learned it?).

I didn't hear from my mom either, despite trying to contact her both by phone and email several times. So between the two of them, I was feeling pretty orphaned. :-(

My mom finally called yesterday. In the course of the hour or two long conversation, I think I figured out why my dad might be put out with me. His birthday is close to Christmas (as is hers, they're the same age), and my mom mentioned offhand that she'd just hit the big 5-0. This was a shock- I thought they were turning 49 this year. In fact, I was planning to go out and visit my dad and do something really special for his fiftieth. I can't believe this. Since when does someone forget their parent's age, especially someone who has a whole battery of phone and other long numbers memorized? Geez.

I still can't figure this out though. I'm 31 and a virgo. She says I was conceived on his birthday, and she was eighteen when she was pregnant with me. They're both Sagittarius, so the conception story holds some water. By this math, they both should have been 18 when I was born, yet she says they were 19? I am seriously confused....I was sure they were both born in 1954... I don't know how I am going to admit that I had no idea he was 50 this year...but on the other hand I don't want him to think I ignored it. My mom didn't care (she didn't want to be reminded of the fact!) but he's so sensitive and easily offended...man, have I ever screwed up this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment