Sunday, December 12, 2010

So I have been doing an inventory of my cupboards to ascertain what I have enough of and what isn't there or is there in insufficient quantities, because I keep finding that I thought I had things, starting a recipe, and then find that some key item is missing. For entertainment's sake, I'll post the lists here. :-P Ummm....keep in mind that I have this fear of running out of food, ok?

Grains and Cereals
  • White cornmeal grits
  • Yellow corn polenta
  • Red quinoa
  • White quinoa
  • Oatmeal, rolled (a lot!)
  • Oatmeal, scotch steel cut
  • popcorn, multicolored
  • Amaranth
  • Wheat, whole berries
  • bulgur wheat
  • Kasha (buckwheat groats)
  • Rice, jasmine white (a LOT, because this is my favorite!)
  • Rice, sweet white
  • Rice, brown basmati
  • Rice, wild (which is not real rice at all, but whatever...)
  • Rice, Lundberg's wild blend
  • Rice, arborio, white
  • Rice, Calrose brown
  • Oh! almost forgot the purple barley, but that's for planting
Beans and Legumes
  • Lentils, red (a lot)
  • Lentils, french green
  • Lentils, plain old brown
  • Green Split peas
  • Peanuts, wild jungle
  • Chickpeas
  • Beans, aduki
  • Beans, black turtle
  • Beans, lima
  • Dried refried beans
  • Beans, kidney

And while writing this list, I realized that I have no yellow split peas at all, with which to make dahl. This list is not including the canned beans, by the way, only dried beans. Most of the canned beans are white cannelini. Hey, I don't have any plain barley, either, with which to make mushroom barley soup! I wonder if I can use quinoa instead.....I mean, it isn't like barley has much of a flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment