Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Had a really good day today, all things considered. Nothing earthshaking, just good. I've found some work drawing patterns for a professional quilter. This gal has had books published by Debby Mumm, and one of them was the best seller in Europe by that (very successful) company. It's fun work, decent pay, the work will be credited to me in the books, and mayeb it'll be a leg up onto more work in the field. I like quilting but lack the follow through, because I prefer hand work, but by the time I've finished hand piecing and quilting a bed size quilt, I can hardly bear to look at it. I'm the sort who always has more ideas than time to do them, and shackling myself to one prject for years on end, long after it's stale, isn't fun anymore. So this job is just perfect. If only I could do more of it and support myself with it...I have an idea that getting a graphic design background will help. Probably I could design and sell my own ideas and patterns.

I hit several stores today and found some great books:
  • Art of the Amazon cool feathered headdresses and other neat stuff...
  • The great Artists- Van Gogh Thin, cheap book but big full color pictures of his work
  • Made in Illinois- An Artisan Gallery What I've glimpsed so far is beautiful- hand blown glass, wood carvings, pottery, and so on
  • The Elements of Style Classic, didn't have it yet. Now I do.
  • Brave New World I've read this already, but wanted to get it. I've been assembling a library of must-read type books to loan to friends and to generally have around.
  • The Art of Kissing Prize of the day. Strangely enough, more erotic than the Hite Report or maybe even Beardsley.

Speaking of Beardsley and such things, I still haven't gotten the book I ordered, in fact there are now two like that (the second one is by Taschen) supposedly in the mail. Ugh, I hate waiting, finding the mailbox empty each day.

Seems like something else happened...ah, I was given four CD's without cases. I had no idea what they were. So far one is Rap, and I like it; reminds me of Chicago. I haven't listened to the others yet, but hey, they were free! Anyway, I'm having so much fun with books right now that I'm considering applying for work at a used book store; failing that, possibly the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment