Friday, February 13, 2004

The rap CD turned out to be OutKast. I like it. Perhaps that seems odd- here I am a white girl...but I can't help my color, and the fact is that I spent a good chunk of my childhood in the ghetto of Chicago, where my peers and friends were either black or latino, for the most part. Man, how I hated being so white, it was not a benefit in that context. I always envied the natural sense of rhythmn and movement, the style that the black girls had. And then, there I was, shy skinny little tomboy with no mother, surrounded by fuller figured, outgoing girls who had a strongly maternal culture...it really sucked, to tell the truth. Anyway, a portion of one of the songs:

Nigga, you need to git up, git out and git somethin
Don't let the days of your life pass by
You need to git up, git out and git somethin
Don't spend all your time tryin to get high
You need git up, git out and git somethin
How will you make it if you never even try
You need to git up, git out and git somethin
Cuz you and I got to do for you and I
-----------------------------------------------------
Yeah. That's about it. Hey, I'm trying... really I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment