Thursday, July 24, 2003

I've been cycling into town the last few days. Yesterday and today I hit the thrift store and loaded up on books. A partial list: a lot of Discover magazines, an Algebra book that looks better than the one I've been trying to work with, Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (an old one), one about names (can't say why but names fascinate me), More Games for the Super-Intelligent, an Internet book that seems geared pretty exclusively towards IE and the like, one about MBTI types and careers, an art book of photos by Edward Steichen (one of Abert Steiglitz's proteges), and a set of work/text books on learning Latin. I'm pretty pleased with this last find; I've wanted to learn Latin for years. The Games book is what it sounds like, math, logic, and word puzzles compiled with the help of Mensa. Speaking of which, somebody mentioned an online Mensa IQ test, which I didn't think existed, so I went and hunted around for it. I was right, they have a workout but they are explicit about it *not* being an IQ test. I ended up taking two other so-called IQ tests instead. The one on Emode was entertaining enough, but dropped my IQ by several points from what it had been in grade school. Of course that wouldn't do, so I took it again later when all the kids weren't making noise and distractions, got the same exact score. I then took another, which claimed to be scientific; this one boosted me by almost 20 points. So much for accuracy....it's a little scary when you consider that life changing decisions are sometimes made for small children on the basis of an IQ test score.



No comments:

Post a Comment