Friday, February 03, 2012

Today was better. My house still has too much stuff in it.....hey: is it possible for a house to be bulimic? Clearly more purging is in order.

I will confess to having a very strange sense of humor. :-P

Anyway, I can't say why, but singing makes me feel 100% better, even if it is the same CD or two over and over again. Never mind showers, nobody can hear you if you sing while driving.

The other loom set-up I made didn't work and I had to take the thing apart. I just made a slightly nicer version of one I used as a teen, an inkle loom. Usually these are used to make narrow bands, such as belts, bookmarks and similar items. I want a scarf, which is quite a bit wider but is still essentially a band of fabric. I haven't attempted using this technique with anything this wide, with wool yarn or with handspun yarn. This should be interesting. Sorry to say, I just made the loom and then came here to do laundry rather than warping the loom (the least fun part of weaving).

Spun a small amount of the Shetland wool I'd washed to see if the Irish ring shawl idea is even a possibility. Some wools can be spun very thin, others cannot. I was able to spin this finer than anything else I've tried so far. I don't know whether the fineness I came up with is sufficiently fine to be classified as laceweight yarn. Um, a problem: my knitting skills are only rudimentary, as far as I can tell ring shawls are always knitted and not crocheted and these shawls are not exactly a beginner's project! Oh well. It will take me a long time to spin the yarn anyway. Perhaps by then I'll have more knitting experience. I could make one for my daughter to start out with before moving on to a larger version.

Also duplicated the bird pattern and cut out the templates for it (this is a quilt pattern).

Am reading Life is a Miracle By Wendell Berry. I've only just begun the book, so have no feedback to offer on it as yet. Once I have read more of it (and possibly E.O. Wilson's Cosilience as well, for the sake of perspective and competing viewpoints), I'll be able to render a more articulate opinion.

An idea: if I retake Chem 101 (I got either a B- or a C in it), get an A or at least a B+ and really understand it, then maybe I could take Chem 111 (and no other science or math classes during that semester- 5 credits of chem is enough) and actually pass it. To what end other than proving that I am able, that is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment