Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Just used up two large bundles of kale:

Kale chips:

Pull the stem off of the leaf, and tear the leaf into large pieces and deposit it into a bowl. Repeat for all. Then squeeze half a lemon over the kale, and sprinkle sea salt over it. Turn the kale over, squeezing it to distribute the lemon juice and salt. At this point, I added a couple of tablespoons of my fresh pesto sauce. Other people sometimes add nutritional yeast and olive oil. Squeeze and turn and mix until evenly distributed, turn oven to 250 degrees F, spread in a single layer on baking pans, and bake for 4-5 hours or until dry and crispy. Edited to add: this is way too hot and if they were in for 5 hours, they would burn. Use a dehydrator or turn the oven on warm. I will revise when I have the details correct. Store in ziploc bags or other airtight containers. One could also use parmesan cheese if desired....

Massaged kale salad

As above, except you tear it into smaller pieces and you don't add nutritional yeast. Massage and knead and rub and scrunch it up for 4-5 minutes until it turns a healthy vibrant green color and has taken on a softer texture. Apparently the standard way to make this involves massaging the flesh of an avocado into the salad after the leaves are properly tender....but alas, I had no avocado, so...I used more of my pesto sauce. It is good, but I think I would like to try the avocado in it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment